Friday, August 1, 2008

Homo habilis

Homo habilis is second in line only after Hominid primates in an illustration I googled at terrestrialextras.com explaining the evolution of man. The website, as its name suggests, actually focused on Nativus coniunctus, a future derivative of man...but that's not the intention of today's exercise.



Furthermore, Homo habilis had a short body and long ape-like arms like the australopithecines. But they were distinguished from earlier hominids by their big brain (c. 630 cubic centimetres) and small teeth, according to another website at bbc.co.uk.

Now take a look at my shot taken three nights ago as we were on our third bottle of cold beer together with Kinigtot Bacolor, my artist buddy at the Dagupan Artists' Circle and Joy Ramos, my basketball buddy. It was one of those rainy nights we couldn't resist, most specially now that a night's out in our favorites bars in Dagupan just wouldn't equate anymore. An average bottle of beer cost about forty pesos before the oil crisis started this year. Now, a bottle of beer cost on the average fifty pesos! And even my favorite pulutan sashimi has inflated so much (I was talking about of the price, not its geometric volume), I reckon the average bar in Dagupan which keeps stock of it have problems with extending its shelf life for a few more days..


Well, the resemblance isn't exactly obvious, unless I subject my photo to Bones, America's famous forensic anthropologist (on television at least) to hypothesize how my subject would look like without his clothes on. Of course, he would have to be dead first since Bones only work with bones.

Drop the idea. Even if Bones were non-fiction, I wouldn't want to share this piece of supposedly extinct stage of man's evolution with her. He's mine. I rightfully own him. I even gave him a name, Carding. Shot him first almost two years ago (Takeout) when I started shooting "mga taong grasa ng Dagupan" as one of my more serious photography projects.

Unlike Eva Tot (see previous blog), Carding is one taong grasa I do not wish to communicate with.

Taong grasas are generally peace loving people. They try, as much as we do, to avoid contact of any sorts (not that contact) with other people.

However, Homo habilis had a secret weapon: stone tools. Crude stone implements were used to smash open animal bones and extract the nutritious bone marrow, bbc.co.uk continues.

That is why I am doing this comparison. Carding is one exception. Seemingly harmless, I wouldn't shoot him with a lens less than or equal to a focal length in a 2-digit range. I saw him once hurling rocks at some people who obviously earned them his ire. Mean. He didn't exactly smash open the skulls of these people, but if his aim had been as accurate as David (as in Goliath), the effects would have been the same.

Certainly, he is one violent soul, if he had one. I mean, if this guy was really a survivor 2.3 million years after he was supposed to be non-existent, he really wouldn't have one. Only Homo sapiens have souls I believe.

But then again, if supposing Carding didn't have a soul because he never fully evolved into a full Homo sapiens he was destined to be, what the hell is he still doing here, in the streets of Dagupan City?

No comments: